From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 2015 14:41:57 -0400
XYL means wife (former young lady).
You should download the manual (it's PDF, but a lot of it should be
readable) and start reading. Note pages that raise questions for you, such
as "what button are they talking about and where is it on the front panel?
Buttons and knobs are sometimes going to be indicated by icons, or some
extended graphics characters, and you may also want to change from the
normal reading order to the left-to-right, top-to-bottom reading order that
Adobe reader offers. If you have access to Omnipage or one of the blindness
OCR programs, you may want to process the PDF manual through that, also.
Become as familiar with the manual as you can before the local ham comes, so
you can ask lots of questions.
Before I bought my FT950, which has more than 60 buttons and 10 rotary
knobs, my brother and I looked at it for an hour in a Ham Radio Outlet
store. I had already been reading the manual off and on for a couple of
months. We took a systematic tour of the front panel, while I recorded my
conversation with Paul on a digital audio recorder. I was able to take the
recording home, and after the rig arrived, consult the recording to figure
out what was where and correlate that information with the manual. I've been
a ham for almost 60 years, so I knew what I was getting into, and am happy
with the choices I made.
I assume you are going to start with SSB operation. So you need to find out
how to get a frequency reading, how many kHz you go up and down the band for
each dial revolution of the VFO A knob, what the various bands sound like
and how you can select them, how to find WWV, CHU and other out-of-band
stations that can be useful. You'll need to know how to initiate an
automatic tuneup, and what are the indications if the automatic built-in
tuner fails to match your antenna on the frequency you are attempting to
use.
This may be a lot of information, but if you have passed your General exam
you should be ready to work with this and have a lot of fun contacts. At the
moment, 75, 40 and 20 meters are the most likely places for you to have
phone QSOs. Don't try to do everything at once, but do take lots of notes as
you learn. I hope to work you sometime, most likely on 40 meters.
73,

Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com