From:
"Bob, K8LR" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob, K8LR
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2013 01:05:00 -0400
Hi,

Lloyd,  Your right!  dStar is over 20 years old and equipment is only
available from ICOM.  I finally broke down and bought an ICOM ID30A HT and
as I expected, it is not a pleasure to operate.  The received voices sound
like they are talking through a paper on a comb because the audio sampling
rate is so low.  Network routing is not simple and there much better digital
voice systems out there, but ICOM has made great inroads in to the ham
community as they are giving substantial  discounts to clubs to buy ICOM
equipment that buy one of their dStar repeaters.

Yaesu has recently come out with two new C4Fm mobile and ht rigs and these
new rigs are not very accessible, however they sure do sound much better
than the old dStar stuff.

Bob, K8LR, [log in to unmask]