From:
Kelvin Marsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2013 16:38:38 -0000
Hi Michael,

Thanks for listening and checking out the Active Elements site.  The antenna
comparisons are just a bit of fun really, but intend to show you don't
necessarily need to spend a lot, or have radials if your ground is good.

My friend uses his identical trapped inverted L on 40m and it is a really
excellent DX antenna.  I often feel really pleased to work 40m DX on my
Steppir, and he then works them as easily with his L.  We hook up on Skype,
and I can confirm he hears what I hear.

In my experience you get the best price to performance to effort to least
interference, by using a resonant dipole.  Either horizontally, vertically,
or as a sloper.

Vertical quarter waves work well providing you have a good ground, either
you're right by the sea, or you have lots of ground or elevated radials.  I
should say my ground conditions were good here for the inverted L
comparison, with a damp thick soil.

The problem as I see it is that we all want to work multiple bands.
Although some antennas will show 1 to 1 SWR everywhere, I have not been
impressed with their low or high band performance.

In general, dipoles and the like are big in the air, and verticals with
their radials are big on the ground.

If you can get radials down, go for a quarter-wave vertical, or a vertical
tuned at the base.  If you have supports, and can't get down radials go for
a dipole cut to the band you want the most.  If you have neither ground
space or supports, look at the asymmetric verticals such as those supplied
by Cushcraft.  A true 80m quarter-wave is 20m high, so the little 6 metre
high  verticals that give low SWR are bound to be a compromise on 80, and I
don't see the point in paying for it <wink>.

BTW, I'm talking about DX here.  For local stuff, say within 500 miles on 40
and 80, a wire dipole will generally wipe the floor with a vertical.  Over
this kind of distance, virtually all of the signal is being refracted
straight down from above.

Best wishes, Kelvin Marsh - M0AID

Working to improve accessibility for radio amateurs with disabilities

www.active-elements.org

For accessibility evaluations of amateur equipment and MP3 manuals