From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2011 11:55:23 -0600
"Mike Duke, K5XU" writes:
> As a kid, I wound enough Western Auto single strand wax covered "door
> bell" wire on these things to reach from the Mississippi School for
> the Blind to almost anywhere I
> wanted to listen, and back again. Sometimes, I got lucky, and whatever
> was winding that coil for really did kinda sorta work!
>
> Those projects never failed to impress my roommates at the school for
> the blind,
> stimulate my imagination, or to give the house parents at least one
> nervous breakdown per week.

	I imagine the house parents there weren't a whole lot
different than some of the ones we had at the Oklahoma School
for the Blind. Some were wonderful people and others were not. I
remember one in particular who always knew the way to really
make a person feel great. My first conversation with her when I
was ten went something like:

"We have a dog. Do you have one?"

"No. We had one once and it died."

"I like science and electricity."

	"That's dangerous!"

	She probably died scared to death that somebody in this
world was actually enjoying life and that she was powerless to
stop them.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer