From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2010 22:41:50 -0600
and conversely then, we don't know how many people aren't working beyond the
number that are currently accepting unemployment bennefits.
goes both ways, depends on how you want to spin it or what political
platform a person is trying to advance.
and, are you sure that this is the only method of estimating
employment/unemployment rates?
there are lots of different ways to tell how many people are gainfully
employed, and all one must do is balance the numbers to find out how many
aren't paying their taxes.
I think that might be a far more accurate number than how many people are on
unemployment bennefits.
at any rate, we can say with a fair bit of certainty that employment rate in
the US is well over 85 per cent all things considered...still a huge
majority of people work over those who do not.
I suspect the country could easily support a 30 to 40 percent unemployment
rate for a period of time if it needed to.
not that it'll ever get to that point because americans will begin to
realize that they can work in any job and that it doesn't necesarily need to
pay top dollar.
That they only need one home, 2 cars max, and not a new one every 3 years.
anyway, we're talking about exadurated unemployment rates here as aposed to
healthy employment rates.
73
Colin, V A6BKX