From:
Michael Garrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 10:16:37 -0600
Thanks for posting your article; it really brings back some pleasant
memories.
     When I was in my early teens I was using a homebrew rig built by my
Dad, W9EUK. It was a two-stage  transmitter, crystal-controlled, using a 6L6
in the final and about 15 watts input or so.
    One summer afternoon I was working a guy in Kansas on 40-meter CW and he
was using a very short antenna and had a pretty respectable signal in
Illinois. Our antenna was  an end-fed longwire about 130 feet or so, maybe
20 feet up
     He was kind of bragging about what he could do with 20 feet of wire,
and I wondered what I could get by with. So I disconnected the single-wire
lead-in from the Fahnestock clip on the flat ribbon that ran under the
window, which left me with about four feet of wire for an antenna. I had to
retune, of course, but my signal only dropped a couple of S-units, from S8
to S6. I was not terribly surprised, since my Dad had done something similar
on 40-meter fone at about 9 watts talking to a guy in New York one morning.
Still, I thought that was pretty amazing.
    The rig had a built-in pi network tuner which would load up the
proverbial bed springs.
    Anyway, I hadn't thought of that in years and it was fun to remember, so
thanks for the trigger.
     73.
-- Mike, K9AZS