From:
Howard Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 2009 03:26:10 -0500
Off list aught to be working again.  Boy they do get your attention if the
bill is late!
The ts480 runs 160 through 6 meters.  The ts2000 includes 2 and 70 CM as
well.  I think their are modules for higher frequencies but I am not sure.
If you believe the reviews, the ts480 has a better receiver for sensativity
and selectivity and audio clarity, but does the difference matter in
reality?  Menus and their levels talk in the 480, but the 2000 has menu
levels that beep I think.  I do like the extra feedback.  If I have turned
back my RF gain, I want to know by how much.
The radical difference, is in the simplicity of the radios, the 480 uses a
separate control head that you can mount on a dashboard, or cradle on your
stomach as you nap on the couch.  It takes about 5 minnits to see that this
is a great idea!  Now two things that drive me absolutely nuts about the
480.  1.  The mike plugs in to the radio rather than the control head.
2.  The RF gain is on a menu while the FM squelch is on a knobb.  Which one
do you use more?
The internal tuner will match at least 6-1 SWR, and the radio comes in 100
and 200 watt models.  When I was buying, a 480 and tmv71 cost less than a
2000, and I figured this way I could monitor  HF and VHF at the same time.