From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Dec 2014 07:27:17 -0500
This mic was notorious for RFI.   And as Butch mentioned, the fix is  a
ground wire  from the mic base to a ground on the radio.  At one time
the Kenwood lists were loaded with this problem and fix.    Don't see it
much anymore, maybe everyone with the problem has done the fix, or maybe
Kenwood  made a change in later production of this mic.

Also, not sure you would really need the pre-amp, but if  you do use it,
you will need to back down the  mic gain or comp in and out, so as not
to peg the ALC meter.  You can use the voice readout to set this all up.

73, Steve KW3A