From:
Eric Oyen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 2015 13:19:54 -0700
well, if you have the space for one on 15 meters and down, then you might see one. The only problem with such beasts is that they can get HUGE the further down spectrum you go. THe loop size for an 80 meter quad is 270 feet and just to have the second element as a director will mean an antenna that requires nearly a full acre just to be free and clear of obstacles. The tower will also have to be in excess of 100 feet just to keep the silly thing off the ground. Now imagine the antenna rotator you would need to move this monster. There is one ham I know of here in the phoenix area that has this setup. His property is in a horse privilege area (about a 4 acre plot) He has a 150 foot tall tower, a boom that is 80 foot and the rotator is a custom 1 HP electric motor with a reduction gear box. I am not sure he is still on the air. the last time I got to check the thing out was about 20 years ago.

DE n7zzt (eric)