From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2011 02:53:28 -0600
let's be a little more accurate here.
We, blind or visually impaired, can most certainly use the DStar system and
DStar radios.
However, programming a DStar radio is fairly tricky without sight, and yes,
the dongle and DStar software is not currently accessible.
Kind of like saying we can't use a cell phone without a screen reader.
Of course we can, but our access and user functionality is limited to very
basic functions.
It would be simple enough to have another DStar ham in the area program the
radio.  In fact, the DStar users group around here offers that to new DStar
users anyway, and they're all sighted.
You can set up the memory channels in a DStar radio for the various gateways
and reflectors and what not.
So, say you want to frequent 4 or 5 different reflectors I think they call
them, you can program the info for each separate reflector into different
memory channels, even if you use the same repeater frequency to access them.
If you don't understand the DStar system, none of this will make sence to
you.  However, there are ways around the high quantity of visual information
related to using DStar.
But yes, radios are almost prohibitively expensive still...$900 near enough
for a DStar enabled mobile...and absolutely no speech synths availible on
DStar capable radios.
although I think one of the new, or soon to be released Icom high end rigs
that will do DStar will support a speech synth.  I don't remember the model,
but it was a high end HF to 70CM radio that was supposed to be DStar
capable, and had a speech option.

73
Colin, V A6BS