From:
Darrell Shandrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:18:45 -0700
Hi Howard,

I am involved with some private correspondence with someone from the League
at this moment.  It has come about due to the accessibility thread I started
yesterday.  I have volunteered to assist the League in this effort.  We
shall see what comes of this.  I am cautiously optimistic.

Publishing copyrighted material to icanworkthisthing.com probably isn't the
best way to go about accessibility.  It is one thing to publish manuals to
radios and other hardware; what good are they without possession of the
actual hardware?  I can imagine that the League and other publishers of
study and other ham related materials would take strong exception to our
openly publishing these in such a way that everyone, regardless of whether
or not they have a disability, could freely download and copy them.  No.
This would certainly serve to hurt our cause and I could not support doing
this without explicit, written permission from the authors or publishers.
Bookshare would be a much better, legal and safer distribution for these
scanned materials.  This is the reason for the existence of Bookshare, why
don't we all use it?

73