From:
Chris Schulte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2007 18:28:02 -0400
I lived in florida as well, and where I didn't have outdoor antennas, I
would imagine that even though lightning is a bit more common down there
then it is anywhere else in the world, you still have the same issues no
matter where you go.  Antennas are by design, "lightning rods".
Unfortunately, we depend on them to do what we love to do, so they're a
necessary evil.  The point is, there's no magic theory that is going to take
care of the problem with antennas and lightning, and whether you live in
Florida, or Alaska, there's still the chance that your installation can get
hit by it.  I would advise your friend that if he/she takes the same
precautions that they would take anywhere else, then they should be fine.
It really doesn't matter where in the world you are, lightning is still
lightning, and the damage is still the same.  Yes, there might be a greater
chance of getting hit by it, but the same precautions should still be
followed and the risk in my oppinion is far outweighed by the reward.

73,
Chris, w8cjs
Web site,
http://www.w8cjs.com