Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2013 12:49:42 -0500
I don't think that is correct.  The sites that discussed the Java flaws
state it affects Java Version 7 update 10 and below.  These articles were
written prior to the latest update, which the Reuters article claims hasn't
really addressed the security flaws.  But, if it says these flaws are
present in Java 7 version 10 and below, then one would have to think that
version 6, 5, etc. are also just as vulnerable.  In this article on the
recent 0-day vulnerability
http://krebsonsecurity.com/tag/java/
Brian Krebs says that one security firm claims that the vulnerability
extends to previous versions like Java 6, while another firm claims it only
affects version 7.  However, Oracle is slated to stop supporting version 6
in another month, and will migrate users to version 7.  Due to the constant
and growing vulnerabilities in Java releases, the fact that Oracle has
pretty much ignored these security holes until they were pretty much
threatened by Apple and Mozilla to address it, and the fact that their
software has a wide appeal for hackers because it is multi-platform,
personally, I am not ready to put Java back on my system, or to use any
software that relies on that software.

Steve, K8SP
Lansing, MI
Steve, K8SP