From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2010 21:16:08 -0500
The big thing that having the tuner set to work in receiver mode does
is to serve as an additional noise filter. It does so by narrowing the
amount of spectrum which includes both signal and noise that hit the
front end of your receiver or transceiver.

If you really want to hear what I'm talking about, connect a manual
tuner and ten or fifteen feet of antenna wire to one of the hand held
DC to Daylight receivers such as those in the THF6, Icom T90, and
other vhf hand held rigs. You adjust it by tuning for maximum received
signal as indicated by the audio signal processor that is between your
ears. You will be surprised with the result.

My THF6 is pretty worthless on shortwave without such a tuner
arrangement.

So, if you are using the internal tuner of your hf rig, set that tuner
to work on receive too. Then, if you want to tune way out of the
normal band width of your antenna, simply turn the tuner off until you
are ready to transmit or listen within the ham bands again. The
difference won't be as dramatic as for the hand held units which have
no front end filtering at all, but you will still notice some
improvement in signal Vs noise.

Most external manual tuners  live in the receive mode at all times.

Some, probably all, of the external automatic tuners can be set to not
work in receive mode if you find that you don't really notice a
difference.