From:
Gary Tillinghast <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2013 21:28:54 -0500
Hi all,  Just thought i would post some feedback on the Baofeng UV5R.  After unboxing I thought it was a compact little radio with some neat features.  The FM reciever seems to be able to pickup many stations in my area.  You can listen to the FM radio station until a signal is recieved on the 2M or 70 CM. side of the radio.  My radio came with a earphone/mic and it works well.   I took it out last week and other hams gave me a good report.  The batterey seems to last several days before you need to recharge.  The programming without the software is tricky, but can be overcomed.  Buddy's manual is handy and one needs to followit carefully.  This little radio can even work as a portable scanner, but you need to make a list, so you don't forget what frequency is on which channel, for the channel mode only reads the channel number and not the frequency.  I found the radio on Amazon for $41.50 with free shipping.  I did make one correction to Buddy's manual.  It had to do with the CTCSS.  You have to use menu 11 and 13  and menu 10 and 12 for the digital TSS.  When using the menus, most have the value of either zero or 1 and 2.  It is key to remember to erase the channels before yu enter a new frequency.  The main menus you will need to program a frequency is Menus 25,26, 27 and 28.  We are pleased with the radio and look forward to putting in a commercial frequency for my son's fire company.  73.  KB2YAA