From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2013 15:04:37 -0400
A lot of this stuff is just personal taste.   I do have a 2000, 480, and
590 in the shack.   I find the 590 rx to be better and the NR is much
better.  The DSP is IF and not AF as in the 480.  There are no
additional filters to buy.

The TX bandwidth  can be set wider on the 590 (up to 3 khz) and I think
it sounds better than the 480, but again just personal preference.

The 590 speaks a bit more than the 480: power out, swr, alc and
compression readings are spoken.
The 590 has USB connection as well as serial port connection.  You can
run 2 different  programs at once (one on the USB and one on the serial)
if desired.   Maybe a logger on one port and control program on the other.

The 590 has a built in sound card and all audio in/out  can be done with
the USB cable.

I never really liked the small control head of the 480.   To me the 590
is more like a real radio.

73, Steve KW3A