From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2010 09:35:54 -0500
	Not all accessible computers have to run JAWS or even
Windows. Linux is accessible and the accessibility doesn't cost
one Penny more as there are screen readers in Linux that make
most Unix applications accessible.

	The Apple Macintosh plus the Iphone and 16-GB Ipods are
all fitted with screen readers that are built right in to the
operating system so that when you need them, they are there.

	Yes, the most widely-used operating system in the world
requires that you make the cash register ring in 8 octaves and
3-part harmony to provide accessibility which should be built
right in, also, but at least Microsoft is not the only game in
town any more.

	My point here is that things are much better now for
computer users who happen to be blind than they have ever been
and one does have a choice now that one did not have even 5
years ago. Life is by no means perfect, but things are
improving. I don't believe that there is any DSTAR for Linux,
for example, but eventually there will be something that works.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer