From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2014 19:29:15 -0600
Steve,

If you move a lot of air around the 811 tubes, you can hammer the daylights
out of them.  I bought a high speed fan one day and laid it on top of the
area of the tubes and the entire amplifier casing of the Warrior was cool to
the touch even after operating for hours.  Without that fan and with just
the one Heath Kit built in fan of the Warrior, the metal knobs even got so
hot you could hardly touch them.  I drilled some holes internally to allow
more air to pass by the tubes but although it helped some, it wasn't good
enough.  When I bought this high speed fan, which was built into a frame,
and laid it over the tubes, you could hardly hear yourself talk without
using headphones, haha.  I know it helped a lot more moving all that air but
you are right about buying 811 tubes today compared to 20 years ago.  I
always thought about buying 572B replacements for the 4 811A tubes the
Warrior ran but I figured I'd over do it and just burn them up as quickly as
the others.  I got hundreds of ours out of my 811a tubes and I ran them for
as long as possible before buying new ones.  Shoot, I couldn't even lift
that Warrior these days but when you are 30 years old with three little kids
running around, you can do a lot more it seems, haha.

Phil.
K0NX