From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:14:25 -0600
ah yes, there are a few chinese manufactuers putting out both amateur and
camercial clones.
Most of them are motorola , icom or kenwood clones of popular radios.
They are generally speaking pretty dead on as far as components goes.
Just remember, most of the chinese brand ssold on ebay are not type excepted
in the US or canada.
For either the amateur rigs or the camercial radios.
They are very very cheap and seemingly near enough to the original to be
reliable.
However, using one in the amateur service may be acceptible under the
regulations surrounding the use of non-type excepted equipment in said
service...I know in canada, you must be an advanced class license holder to
operate non-type accepted equipment...the same is likely true in the US, you
must be an extra to use non-type accepted equipment, or, what is also
considered home brew.
If you use one of the camercial radios made by the chinese in either the
amateur or camercial bands, it would certainly be quite illegal due to its
non-type-accepted status.

Just my two sents worth, and I may check into one of these rigs just for the
fun of it.
A few years ago, I perchassed a camercial band 450-470MHZ Micro HT for like
$70 and it works like a charm for FRS/GMRS frequencies....although, it is
probably well outside of regulations for any use in canada.
The same company  had many other HT's which were kenwood clones and very
cheap.

73
Colin, V A6BKX