From:
"Alan R. Downing" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2013 06:03:31 -0700
Hi Eric.  What Braille are you producing?  Is this for blind kids in
California who attend public schools?  A friend told me some years ago that
none of the kids at Perkins now are singly handicapped.  That is, kids like
us attending Perkins had one being blind.  I bet if we visited Perkins
during the normal school year that we wouldn't recognize it.  I went to a
few alumni weekends while I was still living in Cambridge, mostly because
Ted Filteau would go to ring the big bells.  I liked going up in the tower
to the bell room.  The air compressor for the chapel organ was also up
there.  Eric, do you remember the big room in the wood shop corridor where
they stored chairs being re-caned?  Well, there was a panel mounted on one
of the walls in that big area that had a screen cage around it.  There was
an opening big enough to fit your hand thru.  Inside that caged panel was a
couple dozen buttons.  The buttons operated the bells for both the upper and
lower schools.  That panel was used to signal fire drills for example.  I
used to stick my hand in there and press all sorts of buttons to ring bells
all over the place.  I especially liked when I could hear bells that were
close enough to be heard from in there.  After screwing around for 5 minutes
or so, we would get away from the panel, but hang around in the general area
so that we could hear the security guards and such trying to figure out why
the bells were ringing on and off all over the campus.  Great fun!

73
handicap, but I guess now you have to have some other impairment besides

Alan R. Downing
Phoenix, AZ