From:
Ron Canazzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2013 00:37:19 -0500
hi Group,

I had a nightmarish experience back some time in October 1988 when I
received my Icom R71 A general coverage receiver via UPS.  I plugged it in,
hooked up an antenna, turned it on and heard what still may be one of the
worst amounts of static and weak signals I have ever heard.  It last for
several hours.  I was very upset and thought that there might be something
wrong with the radio.  I considered packaging it up and sending it right
back to Electronic Equipment Bank in Vienna Virginia.  I then turned on the
local TV for a news update and one of the first items they mentioned was a
large solar disturbance that was severely limiting radio communications on
much of the radio spectrum.  Breathing a sigh of relief, I waited until the
next afternoon, turned the radio on and presto! an instant repair.

...Just a bit of my experience.