From:
Terri Pannett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2008 09:44:18 -0700
Kevin,

My goodness, no!  The braille displays are much less than $30,000!  I don't
know what this "braille screen" thingy you are referring to is, but the
braille displays range from about $1400 for a 12 cell display and over
$6,000 for a braillenote.  The price depends on (1) how many cells the
display has (2) the braille display's features, in other words, whether it
is a notetaker and has special software in it so you can use it as a
stand-alone notetaker and (3) if the display is a PC-only one and does not
have any special software in it but depends on the screen reader's software
and is a read-only display.  In my opinion, the notetaker displays, like
BrailleNote, BrailleSense Plus Braillino, BrailleWave are a better buy in
the long run because they have more versatility.  Some displays, like the
BrailleNote and HandyTech's BrailleWave and Braillino, can be connected to a
cell phone and used with MobileSpeak SmartPhone.

If you want details about pricing, go to the different vendors' web sites
and check them out.  HandyTech North America, used to be Triumphonic),
HumanWare, GW Micro and Freedom Scientific.

Also, if the blind-ad list is still running, you could join it and see if
anyone has a used braille notetaker or braille display for sale.  EBay might
have some, too.

Terri Amateur Radio call sign KF6CA.