From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 07:13:33 -0600
the tinny audio on the air is because the tenteks filters cut off all
transmit audio at around 900 hertz for some unknown and silly reason.
Your average yaesu or icom radio will cut off low frequencies at probably
about 150-200 HZ.  Most kenwoods i think are something around 300 HZ.  Of
course, that is the filters cut off, if you run audio straight into the
balanced modulator by passing the audio filtration and run your own audio
gear, you can make a radio transmit from around 70 hertz up to 10,000HZ
fairly easily.  Of course, all the manufacturers are going to try and
convince the public that the human voice only has range from 300 to 3000 HZ
but that simply isn't true.
It sounds the clearest and has the best quality at those frequencies but it
does resonate, at the least the male voice in most cases, right down to like
60hz and lower, and up to probably about 6000 hz and higher in some cases.

anyway, the tentek does have its less desirable features, but the kachina
radios have full audio spectrum right out of the box and have general
coverage tx/rx as well as better receiver sensativity.
73
Colin, V A6BKX