From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2013 23:48:21 -0400
It seems many, perhaps most, of these HT’s have some level of voice prompt. The question is, of the things that aren’t prompted, how many can be used anyway? Or, how easy is it to get yourself back to a known state?

In this regard, radios like the TYT TH-UVF9, which has more voice prompting than most, is paradoxically less accessible, because key things do not allow one to get to a known state. For instance, on that radio, step size, CTCSS/DCS, and wide/narrow setting, can only be set using the up/down arrow keys.  Consequently, getting to a known default state is at least difficult.

I’m playing with a Puxing PX-UV973 right now. It’s a great little radio. It has true dual receive and cross band repeat. Its only shortcomings are two, one accessibility related and one not. The accessibility one is that you can’t tell, with dual receive on, what band you’re on, but there’s an easy workaround for that. I have to check one small thing out fully to be sure of this, however. The second thing is that transmit audio has a bit of a high-pitched whine in the background, noise from the DSP chip I suspect. It’s noticeable, though not terribly objectionable. I plan to work up an eyes-free guide for this radio soon, along with, perhaps, an audio demo. Anyone else who wants one, however, you can get one on eBay or Amazon for around $80. Note that it isn’t currently FCC type accepted, but Puxing is supposedly planning to remedy this. Oh, I forgot. There’s a third downside, though a small one, to this radio. It only comes with a 1200mA/H battery. A bigger 1800 MA/H battery can be had for around $16.50, from Hong Kong I think, and if anyone wants the seller for that battery at the best price I’ve found for it, let me know and I’ll dig it up.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY