From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2011 21:37:39 -0700
danny:
have they ever tried real quality Am and FM broadcast band receiving
antennas?  sounds like they've got some property, so antenna sizes and
locations shouldnt' be an issue.
A directional yaggi for the FM broadcast band will fix any issues they're
having with fringe reception.  A good long wire for the AM broadcast band
will also fix those receiving issues...I would suggest a beverage
antenna...low to the ground, but very lengthy for best broadcast band
reception.
Something over 1000 feet should do the trick very nicely.
As for personal coms, there is quite a staggering variety of FRS radios
availible with VOX features etc.
If they are looking at communications of say half a mile or so, over
relatively flat ground, any decent FRS rig with vox and a headset will work
very well.  No need for commercial gear or spending of allot of money to get
this stuff.
I would do some searches for this kind of gear with google and see what sort
of options you can come up with.
As for the AM/FM antennas, lots of those are availible on the consumer
market as well.
Put up a sky loop tuned for the middle of the AM broadcast band and that'll
fix allot of their receiving issues.
As for the other part about a good receiver that can digitally record, no
idea there.
73
Colin, V A6BKX