From:
Darrell Shandrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 09:05:52 -0700
Hi Buddy,

Indeed, I'll let you and everyone else on this list know my results.  If I
considered the Elecraft gear, I'd definitely need to have someone else build
it; kit building is simply way too far outside my capabilities and
resources.  I'm sure that'll add a good deal to the radio's price tag.

Though I do happen to have a job that pays decently and do a little side
computer work from time to time, money certainly is an object to this
project.  The costs simply can't get out of hand.  I've seen some 817's
available for $400 or less.  I'm looking at $1,000 plus just for the rig if
I go with Elecraft, and I don't get as much frequency coverage, either.  I
guess I'm really learning a valuable lesson with this little project:
accessibility is one of many competing factors.  Though I need a certain
amount of accessibility to operate and to enjoy the experience, maybe I
don't need full accessibility for all rig features in all operating
conditions.

When is your trip to Ukraine?  Have you gotten the necessary reciprocal
operating permission from their government?  I'll be sure to share some info
in sufficient time before you leave so that you may benefit.

Thanks.