From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 2015 15:33:58 -0700
Howard,

I started wearing hearing aids about a year and a half ago.  My hearing is
down about 50 DB in each ear but my left hear had an infection a couple of
years ago so I have some tinnitus left in that ear.  The hearing aids of
today are amazing.  You have to get used to hearing things differently.
Water running into the sink sounds metallic to me, for example, and until
you get used to different things sounding differently, you may be somewhat
frustrated trying to get used to them.  The thing I do not like about them
is the reduced spatial awareness.  In other words, it feels like you are
wearing a football helmet because your ability to be aware by feel of
objects around you is greatly reduced.  You won't notice this as much
indoors walking around your rooms as you will outdoors.  You should try
various hearing aids to see how they sound relating to this aspect of
mobility and especially in outdoor conditions.  For example, at the school
for the blind in Nebraska, we were 10 blocks from the main downtown area of
the town of 8000 people.  When walking back to school from downtown, it was
easy to lose track of how many blocks you had cover during the return trip
but there was one very noticeable indicator and it was a large tree right on
the edge of the sidewalk as you passed by it.  You could feel it spatially
as you walked by it and it even cut off some sound it was so big around.
That was the signal that the next corner was the school for the blind
crossing.  Hearing aids reduce this ability of feeling objects further away
but there are so many high end digital hearing aids these days, it pays to
take your time in trying various aids out before deciding on one.  Plus,
most of the newer hearing aids today use bluetooth to allow you to be
directly connected to the hearing aids.  You hear the phone inside your ears
and not on the outside.  It is in stereo, too, for music.  Plus, those
hearing aids that are high end, also get their software upgraded frequently
because the companies are out to improve them in every way possible.  Each
year when I go in for a new hearing test, my software gets upgraded because
they are always coming up with new tricks to improve the quality of sound.
When I first got mine, I went back several times during a year to have him
fine tune the hearing aids.  My hearing isn't all that bad but when I first
went to get hearing aids, my left ear, with the infection, was another 10 DB
down compared to where it is now so I really felt I needed them.  Don't
spend your money on low end hearing aids because you will be discouraged
right off the bat.  You are going to get a lot of other input with people on
this list who have lived with hearing aids a lot longer than I so take all
that information under advisement when considering your purchase.  Finally,
in spite of what I've said, I sat on my deck swing last summer and enjoyed
the crickets that were a long ways off and I could hear the birds around the
neighborhood singing, too.  So, it is getting used to how to hear with them
more than just about anything else.

Phil.
K0NX