From:
Darrell Shandrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 17:07:49 -0700
Hi all,

First, before I get going, I know that many blind hams consider Yaesu gear
to be blind unfriendly.  Unfortunately, my circumstances seem to dictate
just what the Yaesu FT817 might provide.

I am going to return to the air, from my apartment, using what I realize
will be an *EXTREMELY* compromised setup.  I want ultra-portability, stealth
antenna and battery power for portable use, such as for Field Day...  I will
also want to run QRP to minimize the possibility of interference.  Though I
realize it'll be extremely difficult under the circumstances just indicated,
I also know that it will be possible to actually make QSOs...

So, the Yaesu FT817 "hand held" HF rig has come up.  It has an internal
battery supply, plus, supposedly, it takes AA cells.  This is exactly what I
need for the extreme portability requirement.  So, does *anyone* know of a
way that a blind person could use this rig, despite its accessibility
limitations?  Is there computer control available for it, and is that
software accessible or could it be made so through JAWS scripts?  If not,
can anyone suggest a rig that has attributes similar enough to the FT817
that they might meet my requirements?

Thanks.