From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 2010 14:26:46 -0600
if anything, they probably sound better.
speakers that are well broken in sound better than brand new speakers.
it has to do with the voice coil.  after years of moving constantly, they
loosen up and move much more easily, therefore increasing transients and
frequency dynamics.
my dad had an old set of sansui speakers that went with a sansui
receiver/amp and tape deck.  by the time I got ahold of them, they were 30
plus years old and sounded great...until I blew them up that is lol.
they were top of the line in 1973 costing around 3000 bucks for the system.
pretty big money back then hi.

this is particularly true with instrument speakers such as those found in
guitar and bass amps.
speakers, that are still working, found in old early to mid 60's guitar amps
are highly sought in the guitar player community.
they are so well broken in, that they sound far supperior to new speakers.
They actually make speakers that emulate vintage speakers that are 30 or
more years old.
they can cost upwards of $250 to $300 just for a 12 inch driver.
73
Colin, V A6BKX