From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 2015 15:13:28 -0500
Mike,

I do use the TW-1 for tune up, but  find it to read low for power
readings.     I have a Wavenode WN-2  computer controlled swr/watt
meter.     It compares favorably with the analog meters in the shack
(amps, and tuners), while the TW-1 always reads low.

The amp is rated at 1KW SSB, 800 CW, and 500 RTTY, but  I never push it
to the limit.     I had to replace the original tube about  a year and
ahalf ago, with one from RF Parts.    Seems like a bit more   output
than the original.   Can see more than a KW on most bands, but   I don't
like the smell of smoke.

I usually tune at 75 watts drive and  then advance the load, then reduce
drive   to get output I want.    I was running 65 watts drive over the
weekend to get just under 700 out on 160 CW.

Any difference in drive between CW and SSB is going to be influenced by
  stuff like microphone,  mic gain, compression, etc.   The manual
suggests setting  up for a max key down  output of 800 watts, and voice
peaks will be hitting the 1 K level.  Assuming you want to run
everything to the max.

I'm not sure I would drive it with 100 watts under any circumstances.
  For my setup, even 85 seems a bit much.  If you are going to keep
drive set at 100 watts, use of ALC might be a good idea.

Mine has the grid protection board installed.    I've only had it trip a
couple of times.  Usually at the start of a tune, if the controls
weren't set   to the proper initial settings.

73, Steve KW3A

     .