From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Dec 2015 16:19:20 -0500
Hello again, everyone.

I just wanted you all to know that I have solved my 18-year-old Astron RS35
power supply issue, but not quite in the normally expected way.

This past Thursday evening, our local club had its annual Christmas pot
luck, which also includes a silent auction.  The funds from the silent
auction are donated to our local club to insure that we have sufficient
funds in our treasury for the next year.

I decided to put my ailing RS35 in the auction, to see what kind of a bid it
would bring.  I was perfectly honest about the power transistor problem that
I believe the supply currently has.

In the end, one of our club members bought it for $30.  The nice thing about
this is that the guy really needed a substantial power supply to run his
home setup, and he is currently experiencing some pretty hard financial
times.  He's also rather technically inclined, and wants to take on
repairing the supply as a challenge.  The bottom line is that if he can
replace the transistors, he'll have an excellent power supply that should
keep him up and running for quite a few years.  He was happy, and I was able
to make a donation to our club.

Granted, I probably could have been more persistent and had someone try to
help me fix the supply, but when all was said and done, I think everyone was
well served.

I've now ordered a replacement RS35 for my home shack from HRO.  Hopefully,
it will get here sometime before Christmas.  I guess it's an early Christmas
present for me, but at least, I should be all set in the power supply
department from now until the cows come home, or something like that.

Tom Behler: KB8TYJ