From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 2015 12:25:55 -0400
I have four bugs on my desk, none of which is a Vibroplex:

1) Electro bug. Electro apparently was a company that made bugs, mostly for landline telegraphy, from 1924-1934. Some of their bugs used line current from the telegraph wires to make the dits. But they also made a radio bug, which is what this one is. Uses a square weight like the Vibroplex Lightning bug or the J-36. I think I read somewhere that Electro was the direct predecessor to SpeedX.

2) SpeedX Model 515. Les Logan era, before SpeedX was bought by Johnson, and certainly before it was bought by Nye and the bugs discontinued. This was a neat find on eBay, because it also came with the original 1942-sh vintage flyer listing all the available accessories that one could get for it. Narrower base, doesn't have the T bar at the top like others of the Les Logan bugs do, or like the Electro does. It uses the usual sort of round weights. This one even came with the original cloth covered cord with attached wedge.

3) The so-called Cedar Rapids Bug. I read this one was the only bug that was ever sold as a kit. Looks like a Vibroplex. It's really heavy, too. I haven't had much of a chance to operate with it though.

4) The Lionel J-36. The one I got still had its original name and serial number plate, although it was attached by just one rivet, and all the edges were all curled up. It was, you might say, in pretty bad shape. So I removed it...I'd like to get a replica of it made and attached, so I've kept it. So I'm one of only a few who actually knows the serial number of his Lionel J-36. Most of them don't have their original serial number plates anymore, because they were plastic. Or maybe because they were removed when the radio ops left the service and their bugs followed them, by accident no doubt. Yes, I know this is a clone of the Vibroplex Lightning bug, but it isn't a Vibroplex.

It amuses me to operate with keys that are heavier than the radios to which they are attached. So operating a bug connected to the KX3 is too much fun. Small amusements for small minds, you know.

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: 814-860-3194