From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2010 05:46:35 -0500
There are several options that can be used indoors with either a hand
held or a higher power radio.

A J Pole antenna can be hung in or near a window. There are countless
models of this antenna sold commercially, including one from MFJ
Enterprises. The MFJ model won't handle high power, but will take 10
watts, maybe 20.

The other easy indoor antenna option is a magnet mount mobile antenna.
Just sit it on something metal so that it doesn't keep falling over. I
operated from an apartment for several years with this type of antenna
sitting atop anything from kitchen pans to a file cabinet.

The most unusual base I ever used for such an antenna was a 30 miles
per hour speed limit sign which I rescued after the city left it lying
in my mother's front yard. I bolted a small piece of scrap metal from
an old air conditioner to the aluminum sign using the mounting holes
that were already there, and, tah-dah! It wasn't very pretty, but it
worked. It also made quite a conversation piece.

Mike Duke, K5XU