From:
"Alan R. Downing" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2013 19:02:36 -0700
Hi Eric, I remember you from Perkins.  Leaving there was one of the best
decisions I have made.  If I hadn't of transferred to public high school, I
would never have gone to MIT, not a chance.  My problem with CW now is
shakiness and spasms in my right hand.  Other than controlling pain, there
is nothing good about narcotics.  I have taken all manner of powerful
narcotics over the past several years, and it is beyond me why anyone would
want to take the stuff if it wasn't for pain management.  It doesn't make me
feel euphoric or invincible as some claim, it makes me feel crappy, and it
saps the strength out of you/me.

As for the demolition derby experience, it was a terrific conversation
starter in the hospital.  I could hear the docs and nurses talking about me
from all sides.  They either thought I was some sort of hero, or thought I
was totally stupid.  I still have the radio equipment I had to have for the
derby, including a very expensive harness, aluminuc box to protect my HT,
and the helmet and ear pieces.  If I had known how much it was going to
cost, I never would have agreed to enter the damn thing.  Several days after
the event, the person who installed the mike and custom ear pieces in the
helmet, asked me how her modified communication gear worked out, and I told
her that for the 35 or 40 seconds that I was still conscious, it worked
super, Hi.
I brought the helmet out several days ago to show someone, and wondered if
it would ever get used again.

Best 73

Alan R. Downing
Phoenix, AZ