From:
Lou Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2007 14:05:10 -0400
Hi David.

You will have a very hard time finding a radio that Includes 1.25 meters
(222 MHz for those who missed it and thought he was talking about 1.2
GHz).  I think the best you are going to do for 1.25 meters is either a
transverter off a 2 meter all mode or 10 meter all mode, or your other
alternative is to look around for a used Icom IC375A with a voice
board--not an easy thing to find.

Generally, for HF work the TS570 series, the TS2000 series, and the TS480
series radios are all quite good from an accessibility standpoint.  The
TS480 series and the TS2000 series are really the best from an
accessibility standpoint, but of course the TS480 series radios do not
cover frequencies above 6 meters, so probably one of the TS2000 radios
would be better for you.

To answer your question on the TS2000 radios, the TS-B2000 is a radio that
is designed to be run from a computer--it has no front panel, and all
functions are run from the Kenwood ARCP2000 software control package, which
is mostly accessible but not completely accessible.

The TS2000S is the model that is designed to run as a stand-alone radio,
although it can also be software controlled if you wish.  it covers 160,
80, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10, 6, 2 meters, and 70 cm all modes.  An
optional module can be obtained for 1.2 GHz, which will require
installation by either a Kenwood service technician, or a very experienced
ham radio operator who is experienced with working on tightly packed solid
state boards.  If you are considering the 1.2 GHz option, then you probably
should buy the TS2000X instead because it already includes 1.2 GHz, so you
won't have to go through the hassle and expense of having it installed.

The VS3 voice synthesizer is very easily understood, and on the Kenwood
TS2000 series radios, it can be set up to read the frequency, and the
S-meter.  Mode information is sent in CW when you switch in the various modes.

If you get the TS2000S or the TS2000X, be sure to go to a computer store or
Radio Shack and obtain a serial cable that has DB9 connectors on both
ends.  This cable will be invaluable for using with the MCP2000 memory
control software which is a free download from Kenwood's web site.  The
advantage to the memory control software is that it allows you to load the
memories, set up PL tones on repeaters that you store in memory, and best
of all, it lets you set up all of the menus in the TS2000 and the software
is 100% JAWS compatible and should work equally well with Window-Eyes.

I am frankly not impressed with Icom's accessibility.  While you can get
the voice boards to read frequency, mode, and s-meter, the menus are harder
to access, and PL tones are almost impossible to load without sighted
assistance.  I have an Icom IC706 MkIIG and it is just not anywhere near as
accessible as the Kenwood stuff.  Also, the receiver front end in the Icom
IC706 MkIIG is not anywhere near as good as on the TS2000S.  If you get
into the higher priced Icom radios, the receivers get much much better, but
you are still going to be disappointed with the accessibility.

Don't get me wrong--you can use the Icom radios, but you will fight with
them more and you are more likely to have to call a sighted person over for
assistance.  I can do everything on my Kenwood TS2000S without assistance.

As for antennas, take a look at the Carolina Windom--it will give you the
most bang for your buck in my estimation.  Comet and Diamond make some good
multiband VHF FM antennas.  I have the Comet GP15 which covers 6 meters, 2
meters, and 70 cm.  They also make antennas that cover 2 meters, 1.25
meters, and 70 cm.  Pay attention to the feedline--use 9913 or similar low
loss coax.  RG8 isn't nearly good enough for 70 cm work unless you have a
fairly short run of it because you will lose most of your signal in coax
losses at UHF frequencies if you use RG8.

Also, if you are debating about where to spend your money, spend it on the
antennas.  The best radio in the world won't do an acceptable job on a poor
antenna, but a mediocre radio will yield good results in a good antenna
system.  Antennas are the most important part of your station.

Well that is probably more than enough for now.

73, de Lou K2LKK