From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 16 May 2010 14:47:39 -0400
Obviously, if you want to switch bands quickly during a contest, an amp with
plate tuning and loading controls and a bandswitch will slow you down a
little.  But it doesn't prevent me from doing fairly well in contests.

I use a 39-year-old Yaesu FL2500 amplifier (which uses five 6KD6 horizontal
output tubes in parallel and struggles to get much more than 500 watts PEP
output.  A rather low-impedance, low-voltage, somewhat inefficient circuit.
The manual recommends no more than five seconds of continuous carrier at the
SSB full-power setting.  Failure to observe this precaution may result in
destination of the tubes!  (A bad Japanese translation).

I used to tune this up with a Conway gimick, and now tune it up with the LDG
TW-1 wattmeter on the tone setting.  I tune for "maximum smoke" (max RF
output).  I have to make my FT950 tune up into the linear amplifier's input
circuit, since the impedance is somewhat lower than 50 ohms.  It requires
about 50 watts of driving power.

If you get an amp with a real output tube or tubes, such as the 3-500Z or a
set of 811A's, the amp will be more rugged than mine.

Last Sunday you heard this setup on the 20-meter net.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.
73,
Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls