From:
Kelly Sapergia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Sep 2011 11:30:58 -0600
Hi,

I'm still trying to get my CW copying speed up, and at some point will try
doing my first QSO on CW in quite a few years. (The first one I did back in
1998 or so didn't go particularly well, in my opinion, but it was a good try
anyway.) However, I've got a couple questions, not necessarily related to
improving my speed, but rather about a couple things I've noticed with my
tranceiver and a tutorial program I'm using:

1. I'm using the MRX Morse Code software from www.mrx.com.au/, which, aside
from teaching you how to copy code, also allows you to send code using
either a manual or iambic key via the keyboard. The way this works is that
when you're in the manual key mode, you use the Down Arrow key. If, on the
other hand, you select the Iambic Key option, you use the Left and Right
arrow keys (left for dots, right for dashes.) This is all fine, but because
I'm using JFW, I have to keep shutting it down before I can practice any
keying. To make things worse, there's text on the screen that you're
supposed to be transmitting, but because I have to shut down JFW, I
obviously can't read it. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to get the
arrow keys to perform their normal functions in the program while still
allowing you to move through menus, read edit boxes, etc?

2. On my Kenwood TS570D, it's possible to record messages into one of three
memories for the built-in electronic keyer to play back. As I understand it,
you first have to go into CW mode with the CW/RTTY button, then press 5,
which is the record button. Then, you press either 1, 2 or 3 to go into the
memory you want the message recorded, and start keying it in with your key
or paddle. Then, you press the Record button again to save the message. At
this point, you can press the number of the memory you entered the message
to play it back. However, when I tried all this recently, my message didn't
get saved. When I press 5 to go into Record Mode, I hear a "BT" symbol. Does
that mean I'm in Record mode, or that a battery is dead? I'm beginning to
wonder if the latter is the case.

Thanks.

Yours Sincerely,
Kelly John Sapergia, VE5KJS