From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 16:17:58 -0700
Walt,

A friend of mine flies for United and he once mailed me a print list of
those approach frequencies but I never bothered to have anybody read the
list to me.  I'm about 30 miles from our airport so I figured I never could
hear them that far away anyhow.  He is a ham, too, so next time I hear him
on the repeater, I'll ask him about the list of freqs again and see if he
can email me a copy this time.  I keep a log of all those cw signals I can
copy down below 500 Khz and it is kind of interesting what you can hear from
down there.  However, I am assuming that the frequencies change from airport
to airport so I don't know if there would be a national list or not.  You'd
sure think there would be.  He told me that the antennas and all are
constructed that the approach signals can often only be picked up by the
aircraft as it passes directly overhead to help guide the plane down when
the runway cannot be physically seen but he said other antennas have a
broader transmission pattern and he knows they can be copied further away.

Phil.
k0nx