From:
Curtis Delzer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Curtis Delzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2011 14:41:25 -0500
Hi all! I am sending this message to both groups I belong too since this one
needs to be documented further, and the word spread.
If you are a sightless user of the TS590S as I am, there is an important
condition you need to avoid.
When your rig has the driver logo turned on, it only puts out a small amount
of power, too small to engage the automatic antenna tuner, so your rig will
not tune and it appears also that you're not getting out at all on a
particular band. It happened to me! Not an SWR problem which caused my
antenna tuner or rig not to work, but the drive logo which appears when you
wish to drive a linear amplifier or transverter with the rig. The button
which controls this is the one which switches the view for the meter from
SWR / / power, to ALC.  The second function of that button is to cycle the
"driver" logo on the display, and to turn on a condition which limits your
transceiver to a few milliwatts.  If that condition is turned on, and you
don't realize it, you will not get out on that band, and the condition is
remembered per band, so if it is on on one band, it can be off on another.
The remedy is simple, whenst discovered, the way to make sure it is not on,
is to press and hold the button wiht toggles the display from power / swr /
alc, and make sure you get the low tone, which turns it off.  There is a
single same pitched beep for both conditions of the readout which is
sigtnificant, and I do not yet know if a voice readout can be set up for
that or not, which may be.  What had happened to me, now, is obvious, I was
not getting an SWR CW confirmation of high SWR, just the low beep when I
attempted to tune any antenna for 80 meters.  ND0B, (North Dakota Bill),
here locally came over, perused the manual, but the solution was not obvious
to him immediately until he noticed that the bands my rig would attempt to
tune on any antenna did not have that "drive" logo showing. BINGO, he
thought, remmedying the problem with the push of a button.
THANK YOU BILL!
As I say, blind users of this radio, ATTEND, and don't hold down that
display changing button to turn on the "drive" logo for a few milliwatts
output, unless you intend on driving an amplifier with the rig, and suspect
that to be the condition if you get a similar condition of not getting out,
and a low beep when you attempt to use the auto tuner to maximize your
efficiency on any band and just get a low beep instead.

Curtis Delzer

W B 6 H E F

Fessenden, ND 58438-7300