From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jan 2016 12:01:52 -0500
Dan,

I only do RTTY and use the free MMTTY software to decode.  I only chase
DX and play in some RTTY contests and for my purposes JAWS works OK.

Long winded QSO's would need some JAWS cursor work.

I've tried the MixW software John uses with no success.  Others on the
list have tried the MMTTY software that I use, with no success.   A lot
of variables at play here.

Take a look at the site:

hamradioandvision.com

There are several articles on how  blind people use digital modes.
Maybe will keep you from re-inventing the wheel, or get some ideas to
help you   develop your own method.

I don't use any JAWS scripts.  To tune RTTY, I set filter bandwidth as
narrow as possible and slowly tune across the signal   until JAWS starts
speaking  something that makes sense.   No error correction in RTTY, so
gibberish until you get tuned right on to the signal.

Some have had luck with Digipan for PSK.     It suffers the usual screen
reader problem of constantly repeating previously received text  as new
text is added.

Digipan does have a menu option to allow use of the keyboard arrow keys
to jump to the next signal in the passband, while a sighted ham would
use a mouse to click on a line on the waterfall display.

73, Steve KW3A