From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 2013 20:36:16 -0600
agreed.  I've only used the kx3 a couple times, but I was impressed with
it's performance as well as the antenna tuner.
It's only slightly bigger, with antenna tuner installed, than a typical
kenwood tm v71 or d710 control head.
Buttons and knobs are well layed out.
The onboard speaker is rather tinny and can be difficult to listen to for
long periods or with any noise around but again, you don't buy the radio for
the quality of the speaker...use head phones or a small outboard speaker and
it's fine.
That isn't to say the onboard one is useless, but it's no 3 or 4 inch
speaker like on the larger bass style radios.

Combined with any old HF amp that will take a 5 or 10 watt input and put out
100 watts or more and you've got all the power you need.
There are even amplifier kits out there that you can have built very
cheap...less than $300 all told that will take a 5W input and put out 100W
or more from 160 through 10M.
The elecraft amp will match though and probably be very small and easy to
use.
There are plenty of mobile HF amps out there that would work well with the
kx3.
QRP is a game for the very patient or the very limited operator...that is,
limited for reasons of RFI etc.
That ain't me lol.

73
Colin, V A6BKX