From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 2016 12:36:47 -0700
Tom: Fusion is it's own digital mode different from the rest.
Yaesu offered dual band fusion/analogue repeaters in 2015 for such a good
price that many clubs bought several of them.  It is somewhat unfortunate
that the repeaters are made up of essentially two mobile radios and some
controller circuitry...instead of a properly built repeater.
Yaesu has a couple radios capable of fusion, but of course they are still
pricy and uncommon...DMR radios are much cheaper and easier to get ahold
of...even more so than DStar, so I see DMR becoming the standard digital
mode just due to availability and cost...as we all know, hams tend to be
cheap lol.
You can buy a very nice DMR handheld for $200 or less shipped to your
door...the yaesu fusion HT is still well over $300.
DMR also has more potential and a far larger network across the world at the
moment.
Yaesu tried this before with the wires concept, which did well in Japan but
never took off anywhere else...now they are trying fusion which I fear will
have the same result.
They come late to the party most of the time and other systems are better
developed and nicer to use.  To try and develop the fusion network they
were, perhaps still are selling dual band fusion repeaters for $600 or so.
If enough clubs buy these, and many many of them have across north america,
perhaps fusion will get off the ground.  But Yaesu will have to quickly
start offering several different models of radio capable of using fusion to
get it going.

73
Colin, V A6BKX