From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 2010 17:18:05 -0500
Butch and Pat are correct about that early circuitry.

I may have spoken out of school about the Swan 350 and the NCX3 not
having selectable upper or lower sideband on the front panel, but
several of the early rigs did not.

Despite all the hype about HiFi SSB, Enhanced Sideband, or whatever
those guys want to call it, there wasn't a better sounding sideband
transmitter made than a properly aligned and adjusted Central
Electronics 20A. The other Central electronics rigs sounded good, but
to my ears that one always sounded better than anything else on the
band *if the phasing was adjusted properly. Otherwise, it could quite
often sound like something from another planet.

As a point of trivia, Gerald Youngblood, the founder of Flex Radio, is
from Mississippi. He said during an interview on either This Week in
Amateur Radio, or Amateur Radio Newsline, that he had the concept for
the flex radio rolling around in his head for many years, and it
originated when he was aligning his Central Electronics 20A while
still in high school.