From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2012 17:19:39 -0500
Hi,

Yeah, sometime in the mid '90's, I want to say like 1995 or 1996, the FCC stopped renewing automatically upon license modification. I think this coincided with the rule that one could only renew within 90 days of expiration, but I can't swear to that.

Let's see. Re the Novice discussion. Back in the early Novice days, Novices also had 2 meter phone privileges. The crystal control requirement was dropped in, I believe, 1976, along with raising the power limit from 75 watts input to 250 watts input. I don't kno exactly when WN/KN prefixes stopped being issued though. Also, the current call sign block system, i.e. Novices got 2X3, Tech/General got 1X3, and so on, went in in the late '70's, I think 1978. Which is also when one didn't have to let the FCC know that one would be operating away from home for an extended period of time, "portable" no longer was required as an identifier, and secondary call signs were no longer issued. I'm probably fuzzy on the dates, as I picked this up along the way long after the fact, as I only got licensed in 1987. The year of Novice enhancement.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY