From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2011 09:04:20 -0600
	Here in the Central US, we don't get too much DX on the
AM broadcast band due to lots of strong signals from all directions.

	I have finally heard some long-wave broadcasters between
160 and 200 KHZ. There is sometimes a faint signal on 171 KHZ
with a Mid East-sounding language, rock and roll music in that
language, and a good deal of announcer chatter in whatever
language it is. Someone told me they thought it might be Tangier.
I have also heard BBC2 but one could barely understand a word or
two it was so weak. I actually cheated and listened to Radio2 on
the Internet to confirm what I was hearing. Needless to say, the
best time to hear those are a couple of hours after dark this
time of year up until what would be local Sunrise in England or
the Mid east.

	The signals are usually steady but very weak with long
deep fades that cause it to go completely away and then slowly
return a couple of minutes later.

	There is lots of lightning static and local QRM from
light dimmers, switching power supplies and Heaven only knows
what else.

	I think many of those long-wave transmitters are well
over 50 KW.

	There are many more long-wave frequencies above 200 KHZ,
but that is where all the aviation beacons start. Between the
beacons and the navtex transmitters, those weak long-wave
signals have no chance at all.

	I have heard two or three other long-wave stations but
could never get them clearly enough to identify them.

	I guess if you live in those parts of the world with
long-wave, it is just like an extension of the AM band, all the
static you can stand.