From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2011 10:35:48 -0600
	Maybe we should change the subject line to Really Little
Antennas. I don't know anything about that particular antenna,
but amplified or active antennas have been around for a while
and keep getting better mainly due to FET amplifiers with lower
and lower noise figures.

	The only down side to an antenna like this is that when
you use it indoors, it is going to pick up all the crud from all
the gear you are running so you will have an even better way of
listening to your switching power supply, that little switching
circuit that makes compact fluorescent lamps go and lots of
other hash generators.

	Also, if you live near a very powerful AM or FM radio
station, you might discover that the powerful transmitter
overloads the preamp in the antenna which could cause you grief
by creating lots of mixing products far away from the frequency
you are trying to hear.

	If you have a relatively quiet location, this antenna is
probably fine.

	It sounds kind of interesting so let us know if you get
one and listen through it.