From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2003 12:58:09 -0400
Honestly, I've looked at the yaesu 8900, a friend showed me his,  I
wouldn't want it as my only radio, leaves way too much to be desired in the
accessibility area though I guess it is manageable if you had to.  The 706
is a good radio but you really would want to have the voice board in it
mainly so you know what frequency you're on though once in a while mode
helps. I can tell what mode I'm on by the sound as I'm sure a lot of people
who get on the air a lot can, also on the 706, it might help to have the
voice board so you can tell what band you are on,  some times it's tough to
tell, sounds like you don't really have anything for HF maybe not
privileges there I don't know I'm just guessing so until you get the
experience enough to tell what band you are on by sound, band noise and
all, I would definitely get the voice board for that radio if you did get
it. Actually, any radio it's available for, I would anyway. it comes in
very handy.