From:
"Richard B. McDonald" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 2016 06:55:47 -0800
Hi Steve!

Yes, indeed, this whole RFI thing looks to be not just a bitch (pardon the
French) but also a bit more art and trial and error rather than science!
Following is a bit more of an explanation of my present ground wire setup.

Inside the shack is a ground bus (I think that is what it is called, a.k.a.,
a "common point") that has about five terminals.  Attached to each of these
terminals is a length of 14 gauge insolated stranded copper wire that
attaches to equipment either by its ground post (wing nut) or in the case of
my PC and TS-2000's power supply by attaching the ground wire to a chassis
screw (because they have no dedicated grounding post).  The length of each
of these ground wires varies from ~3' to ~7' depending on the distance of
the respective equipment to the bus.  From the bus there is a single ~6" ~10
gauge insolated wire that goes through the wall into my garage and attaches
to an 8' copper ground rod which is sunk into the ground with only ~6" of it
sticking up.  About 6" away from this ground rod is a second ground rod
attached to which is AC grounding for all AC power into the shack.  Then,
both of these ground rods are connected together by heavy copper wire.  This
electrical work was done by a professional electrician.

So, I do not think it is really possible to shorten the lengths of these
separate ground wires, and then attach all of them to a single wire running
to the bus.  These wires are already about as short as they can be.  I do
understand and agree that, in most situations, the distance from the bus and
the ends of separate ground wires is longer; in which case a single wire
*should* bridge that distance.

HTH & 73,
Richard KK6MRH