From:
"Alan R. Downing" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2013 18:07:28 -0700
I have been asked which radios I bought in lieu of hammy mobiles and HT's.
My two Kenwood mobiles are TK7180(VHF), and TK8180(UHF).  The Motorola
mobiles are CDM1550, and the HT's HT1250.  I got pretty prices on the
Kenwoods because one of the members in my Cactus Intertie affiliate of which
I was president for 11 years, owns a two way radio business serving both
commercial and governmental customers.  One thing that I should have said is
that the Kenwood mobiles have an optional voice board.  I think that each of
the radios, with the optional voice board, cost me around $750.  The
Motorola mobiles and HT's were bought for me  by another friend who installs
and services the radios in all of the Phoenix area fire departments.  While
I don't remember exactly what they ran me, it was pretty steep.  And of
course, you have to buy the programming cables and software, so you got to
be fairly serious about buying commercial radios instead of hammy ones.
BTW, the Motorola HT's were what I used in the now famous demolition derby
experience I had, and about which I wrote an article in the Braille Monitor.
I was a bit surprised that they wanted to publish the article in light of
the fact that I am not a member of the NFB, or any other blindness related
outfit.

Alan R. Downing

Phoenix, AZ