From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2011 13:11:37 -0600
Does anybody in this diverse group know if there is a caller ID
box that outputs its data to a RS-232 port?

	We are getting nuisance calls from our cable provider
trying to sell us more service plus we get this cold call from
some company wanting to do something with our credit cards, bla bla bla
but we just want them gone.

	It is my understanding that a lot of these outfits hide
behind fake numbers, etc, but odd numbers we don't recognize are
a pretty good indication it is somebody you don't want to talk
to anyway.

	I was thinking one possibility might be a dial-up modem
if there are some with caller ID capabilities.

	I just thought I would ask to see if anybody has any
ideas as I would like to log the numbers and times by computer
and do so automatically.

	By the way, we do subscribe to the "Do Not Call" list
which helps tremendously, but companies with which one has a business
relationship such as one's cable provider are exempt. The clowns
who call about credit cards just don't tell you anything so it's
kind of hard to pin the tale on the donkey but maybe we can
never answer when he brays.

73. WB5AGZ